Sunday, August 10, 2008

Public Transport Rant

Before I came out to the states I was a little reluctant to travel solo for two reasons: One I thought it would be hard to meet people as they would likely assume I was a terrorist due to the fact that I am not from America, the second that I wouldn't be able to get to many places because I didn't have a car. My second reason was completely just, and I in fact feel a little trapped in California. 

So Bush, wont sign any greenhouse gas bills etc, and the US blames asia for destroying the world. Currently everyone over here is going crazy about the price of gas, which incidentally is half the price of that in the UK. Obviously things are beginning to affect people over here and soon people are going to want to/have to reduce their emissions. A challenge for the average american, how can they do this with out public transport. 

There is no public transport network. Getting from a to b is a nightmare and it is often cheaper, quicker and more convenient to rent a car and drive. Getting across large distances is a tiring and arduous affair, and once you get to your next city getting about is often equally as challenging. 

The US cannot reduce its emissions without improving its public transport, this needs to happen and it needs to happen fast. I in fact predict it will happen, it kind of has to. So I guess now is the time to invest in amtrak and greyhound. 

J

No comments: